Principal Lawyer – Practice Leader, Commercial
(08) 9321 0522
David practises in property and commercial law, with a particular focus on retirement villages, health and aged care.
David has worked with a range of clients – not only in private practice but also as in-house counsel at one of Australia’s largest private hospital operators, and more recently as General Counsel for a leading provider of high-quality retirement villages, in-home care and aged care services.
David can help clients achieve practical and commercial solutions in a range of contexts, such as:
- Navigating issues arising under the Aged Care Act (Cth) and Retirement Villages Act (WA): For example, David has helped clients respond to legislative changes including the introduction of consumer-directed aged care (CDC), and significant reforms to the WA retirement village laws. He is also familiar with the disputes and complaints processes found in the applicable legislation.
- Retirement village residence contracts, residential care agreements and home care agreements – providing advice, contract reviews and drafting of new contracts as needed.
- Guiding established and new entrants to the seniors housing, retirement village and aged care industries by providing advice and assistance with contracts, applications and approvals. He can also assist external service providers who wish to do business with these industries.
- Developments and redevelopments, and subsequent leasing and sales processes (including off the plan).
- General property and commercial law (including work with the not-for-profit sector).
David holds an LLB (Hons) and BA (Communication Studies) from the University of Western Australia, along with post-graduate qualifications from the Australian National University and the Governance Institute of Australia.
He has been named in Doyle’s Guide as a Leading Health & Aged Care Lawyer – Western Australia since 2017.