Principal Lawyer – Practice Leader, Commercial
(08) 9321 0522
David is an experienced commercial lawyer, providing trusted, practical and commercially-sound advice to clients in a range of sectors, including health, aged care, and retirement living, charities and not-for-profit.
In addition to private practice, David has worked in-house at organisations as General Counsel and Company Secretary. This means a real-world understanding of client requirements and the sectors he supports.
David also has strong governance expertise, from not-for-profit Board appointments, and sitting on the Council of a prominent western suburbs local government – including as Mayor, being elected to office in 2021.
David can support clients in various contexts, such as:
• Issues arising under the Aged Care Act (Cth), Retirement Villages Act (WA) and related legislation – including regulation and compliance, investigations, disputes and complaints.
• Retirement village residence contracts, residential care agreements and home care agreements – providing advice, contract reviews and drafting of new contracts.
• Guiding established and new entrants to the seniors housing, retirement living and aged care sectors by providing advice and assistance with contracts, applications and approvals. He can also assist external service providers who wish to do business with these sectors.
• Developments and redevelopments, and subsequent leasing and sales processes (including off the plan).
• General property and commercial law (including work with charities and the not-for-profit sector).
• Legal support for the health sector, ranging from single site medical and dental practices, through to pathology providers, private hospitals and e-health ventures.
• Corporate governance.
David has been named in Doyle’s Guide as a Leading WA Health & Aged Care Lawyer since 2017.